Friday, February 12, 2010

Frugal Friday

Although I am on a quest for Style, I will always be frugalicious!  I cannot help but get excited over a good deal. That is why I am going to dedicate Fridays to Frugality!  I will tell you about a great deal I found that week or a sale going on or maybe even a good money-saving shopping tip.  Since this is my first Frugal Friday and I am so new on my journey, I thought I would just talk about places I have found good deals so far.  I know that I have SOOOOOO very much to learn about Frugal Fashion shopping!


To start, there is something to be said about when to shop frugally and when you just need to suck it up and spend a little cash on your clothes.  This is a lesson that my husband has been trying to make me follow ever since he has known me.  I always just go toward the clearance rack at the cheapest store I can find.  When shopping for your basic classic pieces (dress pants, cocktail dresses, even jeans), quality will take you farther than economizing.  The better made the clothes are the more they are going to cost.  Usually, higher priced clothes are cut more true to size and are made with higher quality fabrics.  These pieces will last longer in your wardrobe and can end up saving you money in the end.


But, once you have those basics and you are looking for trendy, fashionable yet inexpensive pieces to compliment your wardrobe, here are some tips!  SALES!  Look for sales and coupons in the paper or online.  This seems obvious, but how many times do  you see the ad and forget to print it out or bring it along?  Many times you can use the discount on already discounted merchandise.  Places seem to discount seasonal clothing way before that season is over.  You can get some great transitional pieces right now to wear that will carry you for a few months...all on sale!  Some places that have great discounts and sales as well are Kohl's, Ann Taylor LOFT, Gap, J Crew and Banana Republic.  These places are also known for their trendy and current clothes.  If you want to get super-trendy, try Forever 21 or RUE21 or any of those Juniors shops.  You may look a little ridiculous in a complete outfit from there, but accent pieces and accessories are great!  


Which brings me to my next tip...KNOW WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.  A place like Kohl's is great for a trendy basic piece.  For instance, I got an awesome pair of denim leggings at Kohl's recently.  They are the most comfortable things I own!  I paid under $20 for them.  If you go to a department store you could pay over $100 for denim leggings!  But, you need to be careful...Kohl's is not always consistent with their quality, cut or style.  Definitely try things on.  I also need to be careful shopping at Kohl's and Ann Taylor LOFT because it seems like my entire community also shops there and they all tend to look alike.  I am trying to have MY OWN style...not everyone else's!


Also, don't forget your SHINE.  So many places have costume jewelry and they mark it all down when new things are coming in.  Are there really hard and fast rules when it comes to what is "IN" as far as costume jewelry?  There may be current trends, but I swear I have been hearing about how gold is back "IN" for 5 years now!  Look for costume jewelry that fits your personality.  I was at Kohl's the other day and got two long necklaces and earrings to go with each for about $20 total.  They were all on clearance and I had a 15% off coupon.  I bought a few other things there as well (Leggings, a Tunic and a sweater) and received gift cards to come back and shop some more!


My last Frugal tip...BE YOURSELF!  If you find something really unique that you just love...Get It!  Even if you don't have anything to go with it.  Even if it is not the most current thing in the fashion world.  Even if, or Especially if, it is on sale!  You will find a way to work it in to your wardrobe!


I hope this has inspired you to start finding some good deals this weekend. Happy Frugal Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment