Friday, February 19, 2010

Frugal Friday - Consignment Shops

Happy Frugal Friday!!!


For the past several years, myself and a group of incredible women have been running an amazing children's consignment sale twice a year at our church (www.ucumc.org).  We re-sell people's gently used children's clothing, toys, baby equipment, bikes, and more.  It is a wonderful mission and I call it a win-win-win-win...sellers receive money for what they sell, shoppers get great quality things for a steal, and the church and many families and organizations benefit from the proceeds.  I also am rewarded greatly by being a part of it and doing God's work.


While the sale is where I shop for the bulk of my children's clothes, we do not sell clothes for moms (well, we do for pregnant moms...but sadly, that is not me anymore).  A few years ago, I lost 40 pounds and the clothes I had, even though not to stylish, needed a new home.  I began to think "I should look for a place that I can sell my clothes".  So began a fun adventure learning about women's consignment shops.  At a consignment shop, you can take clothes to sell and you get a percentage of the sale.  You can hold your earnings there and spend it at the shop or they can cut you a check once a month.  And when you go to shop, you can find some REALLY great deals and some funky things.


My favorite shop here in my town is called Fifi's Fine Resale Apparel (http://fifislkn.com/default.aspx).  Keep in mind that different shops carry different types of things.  Fifi's has more things for "grown-ups".  They carry brands like Ann Taylor, Chicos, J Crew, 7 for All Mankind, Coach, Dooney & Bourke, etc.  There are other consignment shops but I find that the things they carry are more for high school and college aged girls.  Just Google women's consignment in your hometown and see what you can find!  Think of it as your part in saving the world...it is recycling after all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment